Jack, there were two other point that came to mind.

1) I guess it could be explained to the reviewers that while an
implemented site is an conceivable goal. Creating a living/breathing
social community for cancer patients is not something that should be
entered in to for the purposes of getting sign-off on a thesis.  A
website 'shell' is a pointless milestone in this context.

When they ask for 'implementation' it should be explained that
they're really asking for a live working community.

2) Sort of a small one, and not really a criticism of the student,
something to file in the lessons-learned category.  I feel a
fundamental checkbox for -all- output from a designer is to
'understand your audience'. Be that a spec, an email, a prototype
or an implementation.  Maybe it wasnt possible for the student to
know who was going to be on the review board, but if it was, she
could have avoided this misunderstanding by preparing a solid answer
to the question.

Best regards - pauric

http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=23446