one way we look at this in our programs is to concentrate on
*practice* at the masters level, and unique academic contribution at
the PhD level.

in this way, the background of the candidate will make the greatest
difference on the evaluation of their exegesis.

to explain: our masters of design by research is *usually* done by
project, and usually attracts people who already have an existing
practice (disciplines may & do vary). Candidates will make things, and
reflect on that making/crafting/learning/process etc and are examined
on an exhibition of their *things* + an exegesis tying them all
together wrt design practice. This is usually done in a 1-2 hr
presentation/crit/aural exam at the end of either 2 yrs full time or 4
yrs part time.

for PhD the stakes go up wrt unique contribution and academic
relevance, but the model can be similar, although some do opt to make
a thesis, this is pretty rare.

and yes, finding people who can assess this kind of research (with a
good level of critical insight) is always a challenge. Being in the
antipodes, we usually fly people in for our graduate research
conference every 6 months, (a weekend where all candidates present
work in progress, and exams are done) This tends to acculturate them
to the sensibilities of the programs, and the process we've developed.

http://www.rmit.edu.au/ad/grc

hope this makes sense in this thread...

cheers
jy