On Dec 13, 2007, at 10:43 AM, mauro pinheiro wrote:

> Dave, I agree that interaction design is related to designing an
> experience. But I guess that sometimes could be very difficult to make
> it happen, specially when it comes to a masters program. The project
> may refer to a technology that is not accessible, or is too expensive,
> and may be impossible to simulate the intended interaction.
>
> In such a case, maybe it wouldn't be possible even to make a model.
> And, on the other hand, sometimes the real experience won't be
> achieved in any other way than with the "real thing".

That used to be true. Technology has flattened and become accessible
and usable by non-engineers to the degree that it is no longer a good
argument. The number of options available for prototyping and making
models of products has very much changed as of the past year or two.

Consider this: Designers inside nearly every single large scale
corporation that make digital products do their production level
design work with off-the-shelf software or opensource solutions. They
can also now use solutions for the prototyping and modeling of their
products as well, not just the production side of things. It's
similar to the transition that happened in the photography industry.
Off the shelf software like Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture are used
by professionals in the industry and expensive proprietary solutions
for photography have largely become obsolete. Given that, anyone with
a reasonably small investment of about $2,000 to $10,000 (depending
on camera and lenses, what computer they want, and which software
product they want to use) can purchase the exact same equipment used
by the pros. The only thing stopping someone from become a pro
photographer is craft, talent, passion and dedication. It's certainly
not the technology anymore.

The same thing is happening for us. Technology or proprietary
solutions needed in the past to build digital prototypes is no longer
a barrier. Between Flash, Silverlight, XHTML+CSS+Javascript (using
either JQuery or Scriptaculous) or any number of prototyping tools
that are starting to emerge, designers in our field can build models
and prototypes for pretty much any kind of digital product.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world