I like wiki.   Wiki and mostly Fireworks, because it does both vector
and bitmap, and exports to a number of formats (and the frames and
pages are very handy for working with graphic screens that change
only partially - think states of an app, or webpages).   For diagrams
I sometimes use Keynote or Omni Graffle.  I will also occasionally do
an animated demo in flash.

some of the things I like about using a wiki:

versioning - mediawiki saves all the old versions so I can rollback
or just diff against an old version
easily accessible to everyone
only one copy of the doc, and the most current one is always in the
same place

there are a number of things that are not great (must upload images
rather than cut and paste, restricting access can be a pain...) but
overall I am a wiki-holic.

I also find that thinking in either an outline format or a numbered
list format (common wiki formats, at least on mediawiki) is
surprisingly helpful.  specifications are not the kind of thing that
you want to make more verbose than necessary.

HTH -

MT