On Jan 10, 2008, at 12:59 AM, Andrei Herasimchuk wrote:

> Adding extra spaces after periods is really a very bad habit formed
> when the large majority of corporate communication was ruled by
> technology that could only use monospaced fonts -- that is of course
> the typewriter, and the typewriter lasted a few generations, so it
> had plenty of time to entrench itself. Further, it's a habit that
> will wind up hurting you once the technology gets even better and
> renders type with even more sophistication, which is not that far off
> on the horizon quite frankly.

I don't disagree that it's a habit that will be bad once the
technology works right, and that it will be hard to break.

But if I had seen even one hint of that technology showing its face
into the mainstream in the past nearly two decades that I've dealt
with DTP apps, I would consider amending my habits now.  But it always
seems to stay just over that mythical horizon.  So I continue to
overdo in order to not underdo, having no faith that a magical fix
will every arrive.

-- Jim Drew
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]