I have been reading a lot about the semantic web of late and am wondering
what it will hold for the future of online and more specifically for us
(Ixd/IA/UE etc etc).

For instance it appears to me that if the semantic web becomes a reality
then data becomes the most important thing online and not web sites. For
instance If I want to buy a TV online in the future I will just enter my
criteria into an application and it will return all matches from across the
web. I won't need to go to Amazon, ebay, PC World etc, The data will come to
me. This is obviously already happening online especially with content in
the form of RSS. I don't need to go to 50 content providers every day my RSS
feeds brings them to me. This trend in many ways is a good thing because it
levels the playing field somewhat, for instance smaller content producers or
ecommerce operations will be able to more readily compete with the big names
as Search results, marketing budgets, eye-balls and traffic become less
important and querying of standardised data becomes the norm.

So my question is, what do you think that the semantic web will bring? Will
it ultimately bring about the death of the web page? And if so where does
that leave us? Or will it only enhance our designs and sites, allowing us to
bring more choice to the consumer?

Sorry for the vagueness of the question but just interested if anyone has
any thoughts or must reads in this area?