Adobe is doing the same thing, but in the other direction with Flex/AIR
and Thermo.  Because Adobe has a MUCH better undrestanding of
the designer, I would be prone to align with their efforts.  That is, I
would
rather work with their products as they come up to speed on understanding
the developer and the design>developer workflow than the other way around...

Russ

On Jan 23, 2008 3:26 PM, W Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I hear you Dave --
>
> A while back we talked a bit about this - and I was using Expression for
> some design/interaction prototyping - but you you are right - from a
> designer's perspective it was still very very painful (caveat - I haven't
> used it since September). The usability and flow was just not there for a
> true interface/interaction designer to feel comfortable enough giving up
> the
> old tools - even if the new tool would eventually hold the promise of
> making
> a much better integration between designer and developer.
> And -- on the other front  - as good as Nathan's WPF Unleashed book was -
> it
> was not enough for an IxD to be able to do simple data-binding without
> much
> gnashing of teeth and breaking of bones.
>
> That said - in a year or two it will be a formidable tool/
>
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:12:15, dave malouf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'm a current user of Expression Blend and I think it is REALLY close
> > ... about 60% of the way there. that missing 40% is painful. I have
> > had good contacts with that team and I think that if we give them to
> > 3.5 or 4.0 they might get it right.
> >
> > What I see wrong with their current direction is that they are trying
> > to solve the Designer > Developer workflow problem instead of trying
> > to solve the designer problem and THEN the designer > developer
> > workflow problem. Which in my mind, if you solve the designer
> > problem, there will be less issues between the two.
> >
> > If Blend is not a good designer tool, then you haven't solved the
> > workflow issue b/c designers won't use it.
> >
> > I think adding the additional role of "integrator" as I think they
> > are now calling it, is a HUGE mistake.
> >
> > >From an MS perspective though, there are 20million MS developers, and
> > MAYBE 100,000 interactive Designers (not developers). You do the math.
> > ;)
> >
> > And how many of those designers are going to choose MS over Adobe?
> >
> > -- dave
> >

> > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> > Posted from the new ixda.org
> > http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=25002

> --
> ~ will
>
> "Where you innovate, how you innovate,
> and what you innovate are design problems"
> will evans
> user experience architect
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Russell Wilson
Vice President of Product Design, NetQoS
Blog: http://www.dexodesign.com