"Just curious how some of you would differentiate an interaction
designer from a user interface designer? Apologies if it's been
discussed to death before."

I think these kind of questions keep coming up again & again for some
of the following reasons:

1.  Companies give many different titles to the same group of duties.
 So, which titles does one need to look for in a job search to ensure
that you cover all of your bases?

2.  Many people have different backgrounds.  So, how does one know if
he/she has the correct experience or training for the any of the
multiple titled positions. i.e. My background is mostly in
"back-end" web development.  Even though, I've coded in
HTML/JavaScript, but the "design" parts, like image
croping/creation, colors, etc. was done by someone else. So, does one
with that kind of background need to become proficient in Photoshop,
Illustrator, or Flash to be a good IxDer?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if these kind of questions will slow
down, until the field is many years old and dedicated training will
define what these positions do.  But the challenge will still be how
to keep different companies from making a mis-mash of all the title.