*Speaking of mental models etc...*

Check out UIE's virtual seminar:
Mental Models: Getting Into Your Customer's Head
http://www.uie.com/events/virtual_seminars/indi_young/

When it comes to your users, do you really know what they want? Is your team
struggling to agree on a common design because everyone has a different
opinion about what's right? Are you unsure how to organize your site or
product to match user expectations?

Design teams work hard to address the entire user experience, yet many don't
have the right techniques to uncover all the information occupying a user's
attention. To build a robust design, it's essential that design teams firmly
understand what users want to get done. That's where mental models come in.

To help you get into the head of your customers, we've turned to expert UX
designer, Indi Young, who has written the hot off the press book, *Mental
Models:* *Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior*.

In this Virtual Seminar, Indi will introduce you to the concept of *Mental
Models*, a method for modeling the attention flow of your users. Mental
Models give design teams a solid method for matching functionality and
features to the user's motivations, thought processes, emotions, and
philosophies.

In this presentation, Indi Young will discuss:

   - *How mental models represent the whole user experience.* You will
   learn how mental models will help you better understand the entire user
   experience before making design and strategic decisions.
   - *How to develop mental models that represent the true roots of your
   users' behavior.* By walking you through the process of building
   mental model diagrams and teaching you the "hallway test," Indi will show
   you how to dive down to the core emotions, philosophies, and actions that
   drive people's behavior.
   - *How you will discover things about your customers you never thought
   to ask. *Mental model diagrams enable your team to see beyond the
   boundaries of what they've decided is the product. Indi will discuss some of
   the valuable information teams have gathered from mental models.
   - *Common mistakes to avoid when building mental models*. **

Google, the United Nations, Wells Fargo, and PeopleSoft are just a few of
the organizations that have leveraged Mental Models to improve their designs
and processes. **
Who Should Attend?

This seminar is for web designers, product designers, user ethnographers,
and marketing professionals who want to uncover their customer needs at a
deeper level.
Instructor Biography

Indi Young recently published her long-awaited book, Mental Models: Aligning
Design Strategy with Human Behavior, which shows other user experience
professionals (and laypeople as well) how to align product design with
customer behavior research. Mental models help organizations get inside
their potential customers' minds, which leads to more lucid decision-making
during the lifetime of the design. Indi leads a small band of re-designers
and re-thinkers in a quest to bring the effectiveness of mental models to
enterprises around the globe.

After graduating from Cal Poly with a degree in Computer Science in 1987,
Indi lasted five years as a programmer. During this time she became acutely
aware of gaping holes in software where the user interface ought to be,
because that was what she was responsible for. Having few tools for
understanding user motivations, Indi started out drawing state machines of
user activity, and ended up just going out to talk to users about the deep
roots behind what they were trying to accomplish. Thus her career as a UX
designer was born.
Special Registration Package: Get Indi Young's new book for free

When you sign up for Indi's Virtual Seminar, you'll also receive her newly
published book,* Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human
Behavior. *This book will teach you how to better understand your users

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:57:24, Kim lenox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> here's the correct link to upcoming:
>
> http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/417667

> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=25182

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"
will evans
user experience architect
[EMAIL PROTECTED]