Here's the current policy:

---start policy-----

*Advertisements for Products and Services*

Because it is important for interaction designers to keep abreast of
new products and services that might be useful in their work, a
vendor can advertise such a product or service once on this list.
Please refrain from placing any sort of advertisement in your
signature. Our list administrators permanently ban from the list
anyone who repeatedly violates this guideline.

---end policy-----

Our current interpretation of this is that Events fall under this
heading--and that appropriate event notices are certainly welcome.

If anyone disagrees, please share your thoughts with me off-list.

And if you do post events, it is indeed very helpful to preface them
with "[Event]"

Thanks,
JS
List Rabbi