On Jan 30, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Meredith Noble wrote:

> Would love to hear some stats if people have them, as I get asked this
> question all the time and Dave's comment makes me worry I'm giving the
> wrong answer!

When I was running the design team at Adobe, I had ~66% women on the
team to ~33% men, out of a 16 to 24 person team. My sense is that
today that ratio is still pretty strong at Adobe, but someone on the
team today would have to answer that. My experiences have been that
women are more strongly represented in the field if you approach the
field from a non-HCI perspective, including more traditional design
backgrounds as prerequisites. If hiring for the job from an HCI and
CompSci approach, it does seem to yield more men, except when you
include Asian countries, where women are becoming more strongly
represented in those fields.

Just anecdotal data I know. And please take it with a large grain of
salt.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios