>From the recent IAI salary survey:
http://iainstitute.org/news/000693.php

"

We found the gender split to be almost equal: 49% female to 51% male. Also,
female IAs on average make slightly more than males (US$87,500 versus
US$85,300). Looking closer, we found more males in both the Under US$20,000
and Over US$150,000 categories. Removing the upper and lower categories from
the calculation, women still held a lead in salary earned; however, in
neither case was the difference statistically significant. The modal
response for both genders was US$100,000-US$109,999.

Still, men outnumber women nearly 2 to 1 in the Over $150,000 group. We
ruled out an industry glass ceiling effect by isolating respondents with
Chief, Lead, Director, President, Vice President or Principal in their
titles. While there were 14 more males in these positions (just 2.4% of the
survey population), women in this group as a whole still earned more.

So why are there more men making over $150K if titles are more or less
equal? The answer could be education. Men earning more than $150K were more
likely to have a masters or doctorate degree. Men also were more likely to
hold the Principal/President role, indicating that entrepreneurialism could
be a factor. Of respondents whose titles were President or Principal, eight
were men and only 3 were women. For next year, it will be interesting to
know the academic areas the higher degrees represent, and how many people in
these higher positions are running their own shops."

-Stephanie Walker