There are many common scenarios where people only care about the first page
of results (which is why many SEO efforts are geared toward getting a site
listed above the fold on Google/Yahoo, etc).

I suspect there is almost a subconscious drive for many folks to see the
"whole first page" of results to know what they're up against, have a quick
pass through the page, before deciding whether to refine their search or
keep digging through.

In any kind of record listing, there are (at least) two big factors at stake
*:  the assumption that the results contain what you want, and the
assumption that you entered the right query/keywords/selected the right
button to get what you want.  If the 1st factor were the only one at play,
improving the ability to get to each page effortlessly would be the
important.  If the 2nd is in play at all, you start interfering with a
person's ability to make that all-important decision - forge ahead or do
another search.

I'm thinking of that I Love Lucy episode in the candy factory where the
conveyor belt keeps spitting out candy to wrap and they can't keep up.  If
you keep getting results no matter how much you scroll, your 3 second
decision about the 1st page of results turned into an endless loop getting
what you need to make that decision.

*  I'm not a psychologist, just shooting from the hip, here...

Bryan
http://www.bryanminihan.com