I really like this quote - " people are, just, well, *bored* of social
networks."  As if humanity will *ever* be bored of social networks,
considering that we have been happily using them for thousands of years.

It certainly wouldn't be surprising that there would be an upper bound on
how much socialization an individual can maintain, and that the need for
different types of socialization change throughout the phases of one's life.
My guess is that the SNAs that offer more mature services such as finding
employment may appeal to a larger audience and see longer-term usage, while
those focusing on posting college party photos probably only appeal for a
shorter period and see a high-turnover in their user base. I would also
expect that there are high-value niche opportunities for SNAs that haven't
properly been explored yet.

-Jeff

Jeff Axup, Ph.D.
Principal Consultant, Mobile Community Design Consulting, San Diego

Research:    Mobile Group Research Methods, Social Networks, Group Usability
E-mail:        axup <at> userdesign.com
Blog:           http://mobilecommunitydesign.com
Moblog:       http://memeaddict.blogspot.com

"Designers mine the raw bits of tomorrow. They shape them for the present
day." - Bruce Sterling