Wasn't there also an article awhile back about Second Life, in which some
people became so wrapped up with their alter-identities that their real-life
marriages hit the skids? In that case, perhaps it's possible technology was
simply the catalyst that exposed the true nature of a relationship that was
doomed to begin with.

I'm also thinking it's paradoxical that the more "plugged in" I get, the
more of a hermit I physically become. I hardly even answer the phone
anymore, and often I'll call someone hoping to get their answering machine.
How's that for "branching out into the world"?

There's an interesting book called *Snow
Crash*<http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Crash-Bantam-Spectra-Book/dp/0553380958/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201844506&sr=8-1>by
Neal Stephenson, which describes a world where the inhabitants spend
half
their time in the physical world, and the other half "goggled in" to a
virtual one. It was a mix of social networks, Second Life, and take-out
pizza.

In that story, however, the "goggle world" didn't fizzle out but instead
became something far more scary.

(Hey, did ya notice that? At first glance, it looks like I wrote "google
world". Hmmm. I wonder what that means.)

-G
http://glpetron.typepad.com/plastic_fantastic/