Charles Owen and design thinking

Unless you have been under a rock lately you know that the
collaboration between IIT/ID and the Rotman school of business has
created a dynamic and ground breaking partnership that has
aggressively advance the worth and recognition of what we do as
designers. In the latest issues of the Rotman magazine (Winter 2008)
Charles writes a thoughtful piece the uses design thinking as the
construct for processes and methods differentiating professional
design work from the greater world-view of design.

One of the important facets of this piece is how Charles posits
design thinking in contrast and as a complement to all things
scientific. He goes on to call out the significant traits that make
designers not only different but valuable. What I appreciate about
how Charles has outlined these traits is how they cross the different
design industries – an important perspective in consideration our
silo-ing of specific practices.  This article, along with Chris
Connely’s ‘Leveraging Design’s Core Competencies’ are must reads for
anyone looking to hire designers to make a difference.

The entire issue (as usual) is really great stuff. If you are a
design manager, this magazine is a must read.

http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/news/magazine.htm