I use CopyWrite (http://www.bartastechnologies.com/products/
copywrite/) for fiction writing. It's got a full-screen mode that is
very calming, as you say, and it's otherwise quite minimalist.

Oddly, at work, I often find myself using an email window to jot down
notes or compose forum posts or whatever (FWIW, I'm on a Mac). Then I
just save them into the drafts folder if I want to file them for
future reference.

On Feb 19, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Bill DeRouchey wrote:

> This is why I love products like WriteRoom. It is pure writing and
> reading. It removes every distraction. You see no menu bar, no
> buttons. It's just you, a blank white screen, and words. That's it.
> When I use WriteRoom, I actually work better. I focus on the words.
> That's the feature I want from a "word processor".

-- Kim

    Kim Bieler Graphic Design
    www.kbgd.com
    c. 240-476-3129