<snip>
>I for one think that the "Less is More" mentality makes a lot of sense,
>because the interfaces get so complicated that even veteran users get
>lost going for features that would be somewhere around 26-50 on the
>'most used' list.
>
>-- Marty

Well, since I often get official communications from Microsoft in
which the paragraphs are separated by double returns...and forms
which don't use Word's built-in form technology...I suspect the
feature-set long since passed the useful set.

Part of this can be laid at the doorstep of mere feature creep; but
part if it is also a failure to define a product (both these issues
are endemic, they're just easiest to find in MS Word). What started
life as a word-processor has quickly gone through the stage of
formatting tool and is striving to be a full-fledged
document/publishing tool (which it actually does rather poorly).
Thus, features that are necessary to one level of tool are
incorporated into all of them and the increased levels of complexity
often lead to failure of the tools. Issues like the occasional
randomization of numbering, the persistence of changes in tracked
documents and so forth result from this complexity.

All of this by way of saying: One of the critical pieces of good
interaction design is deciding what set of interactions your
application is going to support. Who has that responsibility will
often not be an IxD, but it is still the job of the IxD to call
attention to the problem.

Katie