> the most used features in Microsoft Word 2003 […]:
>
> 1. Paste (11% of the usage)
> 2. Save (5.5% of the usage)
> 3. Copy
> 4. Undo
> 5. Bold

That's funny. I would've thought that this list should have started...
The most used features in Microsoft Word 2003 are […]:
1. Typing in words
2. Reading words

This is a perfect example of the challenge with software. They tend to
forget why they were made in the first place. They lose their essence.
Microsoft Word is for writing and reading. Everything beyond that just
gets in the way. I bet that 95% of what we do in Word existed in Word
circa 1990.

All those extra features and toolbars and status dealies put you in
the mode of "making a document" instead of "writing something
brilliant." They distract you from what it says to what it looks like.
I do it all the time. I'll be typing and think, "This should be
indented differently. This is a larger point size." It gets in the
way.

This is why I love products like WriteRoom. It is pure writing and
reading. It removes every distraction. You see no menu bar, no
buttons. It's just you, a blank white screen, and words. That's it.
When I use WriteRoom, I actually work better. I focus on the words.
That's the feature I want from a "word processor".

Don't get me wrong: I couldn't live without Save, Undo, Copy, Paste
(probably in that order). But in reality I could chuck everything
else.

Bill