Lots of reasons to relocate for work.

How many designers do we know that started with Apple or Adobe on
their resume and leveraged that into bigger better roles.

Sometimes you need exposure to a great company or to great projects
to kick start a carrier.  While great projects are available outside
of SV and NY, they are fewer in between.

I have often thought about taking what would amount to a pay cut to
live in Manhattan for a couple of years. For a Kansas kid it would be
quite an experience.

Think about a young senior UI designer that finds herself worth $9
million after 14-15 months on the job. What are the odds?

There are lots of currencies to work for. Salary is only one of them.
Cost of living is another concern... but there are so many
ingredients in the formula.

I recommend that young designers stretch, see as much of the world as
possible, and set habits early with great companies. Life will limit
the options for you soon enough - get after it early.

Mark