The UK also has a lot of vacancies for designers which I believe is
demand outstripping supply, and we are starting to see a big increase in
the number of UI/IxD jobs on the market too.
However, we have a lot of the same laws regarding immigration as the US.
For example, I would love to go to California for a year or 2 to work,
but this is very unlikely as I am a British citizen and work visas are
nearly impossible to come by. The same works in reverse for US citizens
wanting to work here. I know many other designers who would love the
opportunity to work in SV for a couple of years, who can't due to
immigration laws.

The value of going and working abroad, where different markets apply and
the experience of seeing first hand the difference in cultures, can be
huge in many ways... both in personal and professional terms.
We have freedom of movement for workers in Europe and that means there
are many multi-cultural design studios, personally I think this is
great. It helps expand ideas and pull cultural diversity into design. So
instead of going to work in SV, we go to work in Paris, Barcelona,
London, Rome, etc.