> anytime that a company has to resort to making videos
> of products, rather than making products, it's in serious trouble.

> it signifies something, a desperate need for attention,
> a need to be seen as relevant, a distraction from the design of the actual
> products?

Hi Brian
You should probably be aware that the company you refer to sells 1 million
mobile phones every single day of the year including Saturdays, Sundays and
holidays. I would not think that "making videos rather than products" really
applies in this case :-)

They have around 15 thousand people working in R&D. The video is a "7 years
from now" future vision from the Cambridge Nanoscience Centre where they
just built a $60 millon nanotech research lab.

The way to achieve something is to set yourself a Big Hairy Goal. I'd say
that they just did exactly that.

--
Morten Hjerde
http://sender11.typepad.com