On 28/03/2008, Kristof Versluys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What people tell they do & What people actually do = completely different
>
>  Listen to your customer. Get him involved.
>  But even better, see him use a product/website/...
>  Give him simple tasks. Ask him to describe what he's doing.

I say take it up a level. You're right what they do is the key here
NOT what they want.

My focus has been on finding out what they do not even mentioning the
product or website. This sets the 'universe' that the product/site
exists in. To me this is the basis of any final solution, even
redesigns. The users are going to use it to do something - how does
that fit with their world. It's very contextual and I find it scares
many folks as they expect us to start by testing the website and I
totally ignore 90% of the time when talking to users.

So the 'faster horse' thing is spot on. I try never to ask the user
'what do you want on the website' but instead 'what would make what
you do easier'. There's then a series of steps to get from that to
actual interaction design which can be squeezed into suprisingly short
amout of time and radically improve the quality of the end project
(and make it much simpler).

>  Pay attention to the underlying issues;
>  if he/she wants a faster horse, you don't have to build or find a faster
> horse.
>  Extraction: you now know they want to go faster

Get the questioning level right, I've found, and you can get them to
tell you that they just want to go faster. In short let the users set
the scope and what functionality is important to them and what
information they need and when - we can do the rest :)

--
Stewart Dean