Wasn't it mentioned here or somewhere else that the first use of "Focus
Groups" was for the Edsel?? If that doesn't about say it all -

There is the story about the 12 people (?) brought in to focus group on a
new personal stereo (boombox they were called at the time), and people were
asked what colours they would like - and a large majority responded very
favorably to the canary yellow boombox.
At the end - as they were walking out the door - they were offered boomboxes
as thank you's for doing the focus group. Yellow was offered. Everyone took
black.

Users lie. Ouch! What did Will just say?

They lie. Sometimes they don't even know it. In user testing - they could
have completed a task 10 minutes ago - and they will lie about what they did
- well - they will not "remember" correctly what they did -- which is why
you observe what they do - not what they said they did.

Let the flames begin - I am pulling out my umbrella now - just incase anyone
throws veggies.