I normally find sign-up forms incredibly irritating-- but Yahoo's is light
years beyond any others I've seen:
https://edit.yahoo.com/registration?.intl=us&new=1

My concern about javascript-driven validation (either entirely on the client
side, or AJAXified) is that it will lead to laziness in developing
validation routines in the back-end process that your browser POSTs the data
to.

*** naive developer:  "the form already validated itself-- I should be able
to trust its contents!"

*** paranoid devleper: "what if they have javascript turned off, and their
ZIP code happens to be 'DROP TABLE users'  ... ?"