> In a way, we've seen this "erosion of value" happen before. The first
>  Mac brought desktop publishing to the consumer - and to this day, we
>  are inundated with poorly designed flyers and newsletters.

Any creative area is largely 70% stuff that ends up in the trash, 3%
brilliant. Same thing for websites, print and you tube videos.
Remember the web when Netscape Gold came out? when every other letter
was a different color.  It was horrible, but things got better.

But the web and video are social mediums, so it's not all about the
design, it's about the information they make accessible to the rest of
the world.

I've taught Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, and generally
the learning curve is really steep, and in some cases beyond some of
the users, so here I want application designers to obsess about what
it is that those users do 80% of the time and adapt the UI for those
workflows, adding the equivalent of design spellchecking
(complimentary colors, layout etc) .   For power users, who supply
their own vision and technique, the raw functions should be exposed to
them.

Since I develop applications for kids these days what I talked with
the Adobe team is treating complicated app traiining like that of a
multi-level game.  Good game design creates value and strategies
incrementally, teaching how to move, fire.   Don't expose more
elements until a user has mastered the basics, unless they ask for it
by name.  The challenge here is then customer support and peer to peer
communication becomes dvorak vrs querty, same elements will appear in
different areas on different user PC.

>  many print designers with strong design backgrounds jumped on the web and
>  made some of the most aesthetically pleasing and completely
>  useless/unusable/inaccessible sites around (this continues now with agencies
>  building flash sites like crack addicts).

Amen.  This is a continual challenge for me working with top notch
designers who work on a page rather than the interactive space.  It's
a blind spot to them and people who develop wireframes.

>  were well paid, and behaved almost like priests in charge of sacred rituals
>  with their mystical ability to create probability curves out of ether
>  through incantations and sacred rituals - they didn't want a protestant
>  reformation of the process - their power gave them comfort.

I understand where they are coming from, but this is sad to me and
short term thinking.  People behind turbo tax on the web require the
same guru skills, they just deliver them to engineering instead of a
person.

Troy.