I did see this one! It cracked me up a little as I just finished researching and designing a GPS interface for a Northern Cali company... The commercial had me thinking about how quickly in-car nav systems are becoming obsolete to handheld and phone versions. Most of the people I interviewed in my research ended up either using, or planning to use a handheld or phone system due to portability, upgrade or end-of-life issues.

...not to hijack the thread, but has anyone seen the Prius' built-in nav system? I'm working on a paper now where this system is the prime example of usability faux pas. The Infinity system, in contrast, was better. It was truly educational to see how each of the system (Garmin, TomTom, built-ins) dealt with the unique issues of this space. I'm just fascinated with these mobile design spaces.

Best,
-Dan

         Dan Peknik
Interaction/Industrial Design