Hey good idea.
How about EFnet? It's pretty stable....I'm in #ixda on EFnet right now...this is any unclaimed channel, I'm the only one in here. Of course, since I don't have a bot, and I turn off or close my machine every night, I can't stay connected to the channel permanently to keep the claim.
But with enough people...

I am personally too lazy to download an IRC client like Trillian(pc) or Colloquy(mac), and instead use a plug-in for Firefox called Chatzilla. Or people can use the web interface that is right on the http:// www.efnet.org/ home page.

I personally connect to servers like kagmir.ca, prison.net, or magic.ca
But here is the predominent EFnet server list: http://www.efnet.org/? module=servers

-S