David:

Are there any good conventions for displaying a "partially selected checkbox"?

I'd recommend against referring to this state as 'partially selected'; instead, think of it as 'partially activated'. You'll see why in a moment.

Adam:

The standard Mac OS behavior is to indicate partial selection with a horizontal line instead of a check mark.

See http://twitpic.com/11co for an example from Linotype FontExplorer on Mac. The parent grouping is the Arial Narrow font family, and one of the members of the family has been disabled. I don't have a Windows box handy at the moment, but I'm sure I've seen the same usage in apps that don't use the standard Windows tree control.

I think this is more successful than the "greyed out" check mark that a couple of people mentioned, since the greying may make the control look unclickable (unless that's what you want).

IMO, 'greyed out' state displays should be reserved for 'currently inactive AND inaccessible' controls. However, if you're rolling your own control imagery, Christine's suggestion of all-black, half-black, and all-white could work if used consistently.

Clicking on a partial checkbox acts like "select all." I think there's a similar Windows standard, but I can't remember if it's a horizontal line or something else (I seem to remember a dot or square? not sure...).

The horizontal line might be problematic if your tree control uses pluses (+) and minuses (-) for expanding/collapsing the tree because you'd have one visual cue for two distinct controls, which could cause confusion. Mac OS uses right-facing and down-facing triangles for expand/collapse, which avoids this issue.

You'll also note from the Mac example that there are different visual cues for active/inactive (checkboxes for child objects), partially- activated group (check box for the parent object) and current selection (the dark background for the currently-selected font).

The last of these cues is important in cases where useful information or interaction related to the *currently-selected* item can be accessed whether or not the item is *currently-active*. That's why I warn against confusing activation and selection.

For example, in the UI sample I provided, Arial Narrow Bold is inactive and selected. Because it is the current selection, Linotype FontExplorer shows me quite a lot of information (not shown in the screenshot) that helps me decide which fonts should be active and which shouldn't. I can shift-click on another font, Arial Narrow Italic, to make a discontiguous selection without changing the activation state of the two fonts, and the app shows useful information about both fonts. Contextual commands are available to set all selected items to a common active or inactive state, regardless of their current activation state.

Regardless of the visual design you adopt, ALWAYS account for all the overlapping functional states a given control can be in, including FAIL. That's somewhat important for the visual design, but it's absolutely required for proper communication with your developers.

- Will

Will Parker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]