> Are there any good conventions for displaying a "partially selected
> checkbox"? I have a tree of checkboxes and I'm trying to think of the
> clearest way to show the user an indication that a parent checkbox is in one
> of the following three states...

An idea that springs to mind for me is a partial fill approach - "I
give this movie three and a half stars" - although circles might be
more appropriate.

If you have the ability in what you're developing, you could indicate
the proportion selected by turning it into a mini pie-chart with
colour differentiators for completely selected or completely
unselected (a traffic light esque thing, perhaps)

That might be overkill for what you're doing, though....

Alex.