I always use 0.0 for the Home page.  If there is another state of the home page
(logged in, or admin user, etc.) I might use 0.1 or 0.2.  Sometimes I will also
give a global page a 0.x number, like Search Results, since this doesn't belong
to any content category.

x.0 maps to a category page.  Not all category pages have children.

x.x maps to a child page.

Most often, I will only go to a third level if there is a process embedded in a
child page, like submitting a form or completing a purchase.  On rare occasions
I'll go to a third level page for really specific content; I haven't ever (to
my recollection) gone to a fourth level.

When it comes time to wireframe each page, I might use letters to indicate
different states or version of the same page.

I won't say this is the only way of doing things, but it hasn't faltered in
years.

Dante