I do content inventories much the same way as Dante does, it sounds
like. The homepage is 0.0, the top-level category pages are 1.0, 2.0,
and so on, and pages below those are numbered as children. I've gone
as deep as five or six levels using this system, and it works fine,
even if it leads to some cumbersome numbers.

And on the same principle as the one Dante describes, where the root
of the site is a global 0, I number the utility navigation elements
(Contact Us, Sitemap, and the like) as 0.x. This applies even if
there are child pages underneath--so for example, if Contact Us is
page 0.2, department-specific contact pages underneath it would be
0.2.1, 0.2.2, etc.

I've tried out different approaches to numbering in content
inventories, and this one is the one that makes the most sense to
others who have to use the inventory.