> One could argue that -- given a context --  "disruption" can
> actually be good: if things are too predictable, sudden changes of
> patterns can grab people's attention back.

Fantastic point! Let's see where it takes us (thinking out loud now) ...

So, under what circumstances do we need to grab their attention back? I
suppose a system error could be a good reason. I doubt many people expect or
desire system errors.

But if there's a system error, isn't that a usability issue? As in, if a
system error occurs when I was expecting something else, then doesn't that
mean the system is less usable than it should be? Is system reliability is
part of usability? (Seems so, but are there arguments that this is not the
case?)

In Bruce Sterling's example, the lack of scenery caused people to daze out
and crash, presumably because the scenery was too predictable. Leading
people to crash would be a definite usability issue, I'd say. And in that
case, predictability seemed to cause it. Unpredictability — in this case,
some texture in the design — could have prevented lots of crashes.

However, one could argue that the golf cart driver's prediction should be
being able to get through the 27km line of tube without crashing. "I predict
I will get through this unharmed" seems like a perfectly reasonable
statement to make. How hard is it to drive a golf cart, after all?

Hmm.

Thoughts? There's definitely something to your argument, and I'd like to
explore it more.

-r-