Dan Saffer wrote:
On Jun 4, 2008, at 5:59 AM, G.Jason Head wrote:

 In this day and age, I would that most people who need to
increase their font sizes in their web browser already know how to do
it. Even more, they probably have increased their font size long
before they got to your web site anyway.

Unlikely. The people who most need to increase font size are people 65+, which is the group least-likely to be skilled enough to have adjusted settings (which is already a minority of people).

Dan

Agree. But there is always the exception to the rule. This is depend on the base font size of the site, For example if you launch a site with font size equivalent of 12px then for some insane reason drop this down to 9px, you can expect the audience over 40 are going to need to find out really quickly how to increase the font size. This maybe the first time they have encountered the problem. With IE 7 they may just assume the zoom is what they are going have to use, but don't bet on it. Best thing is a err on the conservative side of font sizing so the core users don't have to know to change it. Or better show them how. Little education does help, some people (low number I agree) do read them.

--
Gary Barber
Freelance User Interaction Designer/ Information Architect

Web: radharc.com.au
blog: manwithnoblog.com