Design for your audience. In the vast majority of cases, the text resize
widget is a distraction that clutters up a page. Nobody uses it, and people
who do need to resize type will do so via the browser; it's not hard to do
so. For the widget to be visible, it would have to be prominently positioned
above the fold, eating up valuable real estate that could be used for
content that's more compelling to visitors.

It's not 1995, and unless your site is visited by people who would need to
resize type, it won't be necessary if the site is well designed. Larger type
is not necessarily more readable type - it's why it's used for headlines.
Like long lines of text - with long form copy, it's generally tiring,
reduces comprehension, etc.

And this is a pet peeve of mine, coming from working for years in
advertising - it's not a good idea to pigeonhole a large population segment.
The AARP is well aware that they've got a large and very diverse group of
members and potential members. And it's unfair to assume that most older
people are resistant to technology and online communications.
Not all 50+ readers need or want to resize text; in fact, few of them do.
And it's not 1995; not all 50+ people are such newbies that they don't know,
or wouldn't want to know, how to resize text in a browser.

Marilyn