To be honest, in nearly two-years of designing and developing Web
sites, I've never thought of using nor been requested to use a
text-resizer widget. I'm unsure if that is a good thing or not, but
personally, I find it astonishing, and perhaps telling, that it has
never come to mind, especially as someone who prides himself on
following Web standard and accessibility guidelines.

Which suddenly reminds me: in the countless articles discussing these
principles, from ALA to WaSP, I've personally never encountered one
discussing or recommending the use of such a resizing scheme. Take
that for what it's worth.

I've read through everyone's comments and am convinced that their
are compelling arguments on both sides. In the interest of taking a
stance, I recommend against the use of a text-resizer widget. I
remain unconvinced that designing them into every site and
instructing users as to their functionality, which is surely not
always obvious, is any easier or wiser than instructing how to use a
browser and/or working with browser developers to make the program's
built-in functionality more apparent and accessible.

A visually accessible site begins with the design (read: good
typography principles and testing the site on multiple platforms,
browsers, screen-resolutions, and users). Then, write HTML and CSS so
that resizing is possible, if such functionality is deemed necessary.
Lastly, follow the suggestion of a previously linked article: provide
instruction to un-savvy users as to how their browser operates.

I think this is still open to discussion, but from my experience,
this is my current opinion.