Wasn't the original purpose of the "confirm email" field to thwart automated
scripts?
It's getting the human touch, confirmation that the form is being filled out
by a person, that's the goal.
As an Alan Cooper fan, I venture there are probably better and more elegant
ways to achieve this
confirmation. Confirming those randomly-generated visual distorted
letters/numbers is an example.

Rather than focus on the high amount of errors that no doubt occur, why not
focus on a way to challenge the
de facto standard? Isn't this standard a leftover of a technical landscape
that has since evolved?
This landscape won't evolve & clean up unless we push it to do so.

If challenging this method is not an option, then in the interests of
letting people complete their tasks
as quickly as possible (and getting out of the way), people should be
allowed to copy & paste.
-G