On 6 Jun 2008, at 13:02, Gloria Petron wrote:
Wasn't the original purpose of the "confirm email" field to thwart automated
scripts?
It's getting the human touch, confirmation that the form is being filled out
by a person, that's the goal.

There may be other reasons for a confirm email field to be included on a form.

An airline client of ours told me that if the email is incorrect when booking a flight the customer will not receive their PNR (booking reference). The usual course of action is for them to then phone the airline helpdesk to get their reference which is a considerable cost to the airline. In live A/B testing the use of the confirm email field reduced the amount of incorrect email addresses submitted and consequently saved them a substantial amount of money in helpdesk calls.

It's an inelegant solution so I'm looking forward to reading any ideas that can improve the user journey without the risk of increased costs.

Regards,

Diarmad McNally
Interaction Design Studio

UK: +44 (0) 7808 297289