I'm sorry that I don't have any research for you, but if I have time
tomorrow, I will briefly poke about to see if I can find something
concrete.

I agree that there are multiple ways to "validate" and they all
have their positives and negatives. Only a handful of times have I
come across the dual e-mail-field strategy, but that doesn't mean
any thought went into making that decision%u2026

Personally, I prefer a confirmation page where I can recheck all my
information. Depending on the input%u2014whether it's trivial or
critical i.e. a user's interests versus billing address and credit
card number, etc.%u2014you should be using a confirmation page
anyway. It doesn't *hurt* to throw in an extra validation check in
the form, too, so long as the form isn't frustratingly long in the
first place, if there serious concern.