On Jun 6, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Sebi Tauciuc wrote:

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Jared Spool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I haven't seen anything formally published. However, here's what we've found in our research at UIE:

The problem you're trying to solve is mistyping email addresses. Depending on the audience, context, and design, you can see typos in anywhere from 0.75% to 5% of email addresses entered. (Even here at UIE, we have, on average, 2 out of every 100 email addresses are entered incorrectly. These are designers and developers with a lot of internet experience, so it's not just a matter of sophistication.)

Are these results for forms with 1 e-mail field or 2?

One field.

It's hard to get exact numbers because you can't tell if an email is valid, even after the message is sent. Many servers do not kick back bad email address to prevent "dictionary attacks" from spammers, so the email just disappears into the void.

We know of the UIE.com failures because we are registering people for events and they subsequently contact us when they haven't received the subsequent attendee information and receipts.

Several sites try solve the problem by asking for the email twice. The thinking is that, if the user enters it the same twice, then it must be correct. As people have discussed, that doesn't always happen because more sophisticated users will use cut & paste, which will only propagate a typo in the second field, making a false positive.

I guess it could help to just test the two kinds of approaches head to head, in order to see if the numbers you show above for typing errors are improved at all by using the verification field?

Measuring it is very difficult, for the reasons I stated above. If you could, it would be an option.

Jared