Social network websites are web applications, rather than web sites. In a web site, users browse to access contents. In a web application, users perform tasks to access application states.

Stakeholders and people involved in the design, development and documentation of a web application, need to freely access the different states of the application, without actually performing the tasks that drive the application to that particular state. For these actors, a flow chart of the tasks/functions, with links to the "pages" of the web application, would be appropiate. A way to quickly reveal what "pages" are shared by different functions (page names, color coding) needs to be thought out.

End users cannot freely "navigate" the application to a particular state without performing required tasks. Therefore, web applications - as desktop applications- don't usually offer a site map. What end users need and can use, is a well-written help section answering what steps are required to perform their goals. Copywriters can use the flow chart as a reference to develop that documentation.

--
Santiago Bustelo // icograma
Buenos Aires, Argentina