Regarding *Mark Ehrhardt* on:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:21:34, Mark Ehrhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Why on earth would you consider hiring a PhD if you are going to
> evaluate them using the same criteria you would an undergrad?  PhDs
> are researchers... they further the field of design.  You hire them
> if you need this type of thinking / work... not if you need someone
> to crank out designs.

I wouldn't say the only job a PhD could do was research, but from
interviewing candidates it seems like Academia may be the sweet spot for
"IxD PhD's", not real world business. Note in other fields PhD's
"DO" lead in real world/business situations AND further research in their
fields, such as semi-conductor industries, genetic engineering, etc.

I think IxD has a more "tradesman" like aspect to it, where the Maverick is
often the best of class.

Regarding:

 On 6/22/08, Sean Goggins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Perhaps it is this very preference for "cranking out designs" that has
> limited the advancement of the field of design?  There are, no doubt, firms
> with this preference, and firms who aspire advance the field.  The design
> field no doubt requires both.

Regarding "cranking out design", I would NEVER underestimate what you learn
when you have exposure to lots of work with tight deadlines. I'd say this is
the best experience an IxD practitioner could have, if it's coupled with
varied projects, ownership and optimization.

"Advancing the field" in a vacuum I guess could lead to new useful ideas,
it's debatable the efficiency of this method. I'd say it's better if
striving to "Advance a Field" is coupled with a real problem to solve,
within a real business environment.

And it's "Prima donna".  ;)
(this doesn't get caught in my spell check ;)

--
Joseph Rich Rogan
President UX/UI Inc.