On Jun 23, 2008, at 10:46 AM, Dan Saffer wrote:

I'd say the last thing we'd want to do is put the Artist/Designer back into her high-tower, preparing wondrous creations to unleash upon a grateful and waiting one-to-many monologic world.

Why is this not a valid means of design? I'll let Andrei and Jim Leftwich do their thing here, but I'll point to Jared's recent keynote: <http://www.uie.com/brainsparks/2008/04/23/ia-summit-keynote-journey-to-the-center-of-design/ >

The irony of this line of discussion is that good designers never need permission to do what they know to be good design, regardless if they are told not to act like the high and mighty designer sitting in their ivory tower. They just do it regardless. So it effectively makes the discussion moot for the good designer.

People seem to want some sort of guaranteed protection from bad designers, when in fact they already have one: Don't use or pay for what they design.

I think this line from Paul Rand speaks eloquently to this point:

"Meaningful design, design of quality and wit, is no small achievement, even in an environment in which good design is understood, appreciated, and ardently accepted, and in which profit is not the only motive. At best, work that has any claim to distinction is the exception, even under the most ideal circumstances. After all, our epoch can boast of only one A.M. Cassandre."

Outside of this, I've always wondered what "Hamlet" would have been like had Shakespeare been forced to write it with a team of playwrights assigned by the Queen.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world