On Jun 23, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Christine Boese wrote:
I understand the need to move beyond UCD, but I'm actually headed in the direction of LESS of a focus on an atomized individual "user" and more on the social aspects of design. And you can't do social design in a vacuum, the lonely artist designer laboring in a tower.

I remember how Dick Buchanan in class often said the phrase "community of use" as a way of breaking away from the pejorative and isolated sense of "the user". Added a broader human, social dimension, also avoided the phrase "targeted user" which sounds a like someone trapped in a firing range ;-)

-uday