Reading this conversation is making my head hurt. It seems like a
waste of time debating the definition and importance of such a vague
term as UCD.

In my workplace people through our 'user centered' and 'user
experience' largely without any real thought or concern for the user.
Frankly, most of our initiatives are built with great user
indifference.

Some better questions to debate might be:

1 How do we accurately identify our users?

2 How do we get better, faster and more relevant data regarding what
will work for users?

3 To what extent should we consider the user? Certainly technical
constraints and business models must remain a concern. How to we blend
our user data with the other two and maintain singular vision for
product?

Lastly, and I guess I will put Robert on the spot here, if you don't
believe the current state of identifying, researching and applying
user data is up to snuff, then why not try to improve methods? An end
around the entire issue does not seem like a real solution. Given the
choice, is getting into shape not a better route than just waiting for
the double bypass?

Mark