Nice article, but it does not really address the primary problem with
the current state of design research.

You can not effectively 'gear up' and do user research in the web
world (or any other evolving moving market). It moves to damn fast.
And on one of the only issues that I will side with the agile folks,
big design up front is too slow when research is involved. I
understand that research is best when purposed and targeted to answer
specific problems. But business, across the board, does a terrible job
of knowing it's users.

No accounting department worth its crust waits until the end of the
reporting period to gather records.

User research should be an ongoing and exhaustive effort on the part
of any company introducing products into the marketplace.

1 That it seems expensive is not an excuse. User research is not a
cost. When done right it is an investment geared towards reducing risk
and increasing value - both are near and dear to most any MBA's sense
of self preservation.

2 That others don't do it does not fly either. User research leads
directly to opportunities for marketplace differentiation... which
leads to larger margins. Again, increased profit can be a pretty good
motivator for MBA's.

3 Most market leaders fall (when they fall) at the hands of disruptive
model upstarts. User research can expose features that users do not
have an interest in.

Mark