Dan Saffer said:
> I'd rather set the users' expectations correctly than to have them
> click on a menu item and have a pop up appear telling them why they
> can't do that. A really long tooltip: "If you want to Paste an object,
> first you need to unlock this layer." is definitely better, but could
> have tons of conditionals.

Right on, Dan. Making a menu item active to show a message why it is not
actually available should be reserved for VERY unusual circumstances. In
addition to the point you make, disabling menu choices in context provides a
quick way to see what can and cannot be done at any moment: i.e., an effective
tool for learning. And disabled choices also provide feedback to the more
advanced user about what the current context is (e.g., it's sometimes hard to
discern if 0, 1, or multiple items are selected, and the available choices can
give good feedback about this).

In addition to your suggestion about the wordy tooltip, one often overlooked
area of online help in traditional software is information not only about what
a field or UI element DOES, but also how to find it and how to enable it.

Paul Eisen
Principal User Experience Architect
tandemseven