So given this discussion, what (if anything) is the impact of what
we're saying on the use of Progressive Disclosure in UI design?

I'm not saying that there is an impact, it just seems to me that
I've heard the rationale before for hiding/showing some controls
conditionally as being based on the Progressive Disclosure pattern.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question.