I'd have to agree with what I believe all this threads comments are pointing
to (and add that this is what we're doing in our app, with great user
feedback), - it's better to disable a button when this functionality is not
available then:

 1. Hide it, or
 2. Leave it visually enabled but thru user intervention the user discovers
it is actually "disabled".

Guru's can be wrong, (often), and assumptions should be challenged. Not to
mention there's often a good reason, (in context), to do something which
otherwise would seem counter intuitive.

--
Joseph Rich Rogan
President UX/UI Inc.