One other thing I look at when determining how the user will be
informed about the functionality of a disabled control is what the
conditions or configurations are that would cause the control to be
enabled/disabled.

Sometimes I find that the where the control exists in a task/workflow
creates a context for the user and they either conciously or
subconciously the user understands why the control is at some points
disabled and other points enabled.

When observing this, its important to look at how long it takes the
user to pick up on this context, obviously if it seems to take a
while, a number of iterations on the task perhaps, you wouldn't want
to depend on the context being the only communication vehicle and do
something a little more explicit - something like a tool-tip as Dan
pointed out, or even just a text hint displayed beside the control.